Our body is made up of complex & special network of cells, tissues, organs and chemicals which protect they body to fight infections. This immune system protects our body when it is attacked by any foreign substance - virus, bacteria or toxin, etc. But sometimes our immune system erroneously starts recognizing our own body healthy cell, tissues etc as foreign and attacks it, this condition is termed as ‘Autoimmune disorder’.
There are over 80 different autoimmune diseases and frequently the symptoms overlap making it difficult to identify the disease. Autoimmune diseases can affect either one organ or the entire body. It can adversely affect the quality of life and in serious conditions it can cause a lasting damage. While the reasons remain unknown autoimmune disorders are significantly higher in women as compared to men. While it is also assumed that this is genetic, but this also has not been conclusive.
The National Institutes for Health (NIH) estimates that autoimmune disease collectively affect between 5% and 8% percent of the U.S. population. For unknown reasons, the prevalence of autoimmune diseases is increasing. This is higher than the percentage of world population. Nearly 4% of the world’s population is affected by one of more than 80 different autoimmune diseases. These diseases strike women three times more often than men, the Office of Research on Women’s Health at the NIH has named autoimmunity a major women’s health issue. According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), these diseases represent the fourth largest cause of disability among women in the United States and are the eighth leading cause of death for women between the ages of 15 and 64.
Causes of Autoimmune Disorders
The exact cause/s of Autoimmune Disease continues to remain unknown. Anything can cause autoimmune disorder and therefore it is very difficult to point out at a single cause. Stress is a major factor which can impair the immunity drastically which could be the cause the person to be at risk of developing an autoimmune disorder. Fatigue, muscle soreness, mild inflammation on joints, sensation of numbness on hands and feet, skin redness or rash, low grade fever or sudden hair loss could be early signals of an autoimmune disorder, these should not be ignored. Some autoimmune disorders are inexplicably dangerous and can also be life threatening in some cases.
Refer below some examples of Autoimmune diseases:
- Type 1 diabetes; here the immune systems antibodies attack and destroy insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This results in a decrease of insulin released in the body leading to high uncontrolled blood sugar level.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA); in RA the immune system cells attack the joint tissues, causing inflammation, swelling and pain. and deformity in the long run due to Repeated inflammation episodes over a period can cause deformities in the joints. If untreated, rheumatoid arthritis gradually causes permanent joint damage.
- Multiple sclerosis; the immune system attacks the protective sheath (myelin) that covers nerve fibres. This causes nervous system disorders affecting many parts of your body. Symptoms can include pain, blindness, weakness, poor coordination, and muscle spasms.
- Systemic lupus; the autoimmune antibodies that can attack the tissues throughout the body. The joints, lungs, blood cells, nerves, and kidneys are commonly affected in lupus.
- Guillain Barre syndrome; the abnormal immune system response is triggered post some infection. This triggers the autoimmune antibodies to attack the nerves controlling muscles in the legs, it can also affect the arms and upper body leading to Paresis or weakness of the muscles.
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy in which similar to Guillain-Barre, the immune system also attacks the nerves, but symptoms last much longer.
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis; the antibodies produced by the immune system attack the thyroid gland, slowly destroying the cells that produce thyroid hormone. Low levels of thyroid hormone cause symptoms like regular hypothyroidism. Symptoms include fatigue, constipation, weight gain, depression, dry skin, and sensitivity to cold.
- Myasthenia Gravis (MG); is a condition caused by an antibody-mediated blockade of neuromuscular transmission. In other words, it’s the communication breakdown between the nerves and the muscles under voluntary control. The primary symptom is muscle weakness which worsens with any physical activity in the course of the day. Weakness is less after rest and gets worse after a few hours.
- Autoimmune Myocarditis; this is a rare disorder associated with the inflammation of the heart muscles. Myocarditis reduces the hearts ability to pump & can cause abnormal heart rhythm. This can be triggered by any infections, medication or other diseases. Prevent yourself by social distancing from people with any contagious virus infections.
- Vasculitis; is a disease that causes inflammation and narrowing of blood vessels (arteries, veins and capillaries). In severe cases, the condition can cause organ damage or death as the blood flow to those organs gets compromised.
- Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease; there are jointly termed as Inflammatory Bowel diseases where the inner lining of the intestine is attacked causing inflammation resulting in pain and altered bowel patterns causing diarrhea & bleeding.
HOW HOMEOPATHY HELPS
Homeopathic medication has no side effects, it works gently to improve the immune system and prevent further damage. Homeopathic treatment works on the methodology of “like cures like” and enable to body to self-heal. Homeopathy takes into consideration the human being as a whole and believes that the cause is an imbalance in the homoeostasis of the body. It takes all constitutional factors into consideration and attempts to heal this aberration in the homeostasis of body thus helping in correction the dysfunction immune system of the body. Thus targeting the root cause of the occurrence of the attack.
At Achieve Holistic Wellness we focus on each individual and catering to their personal overall health conditions. For Autoimmune disorders our experts focus on calming the autoimmune systems overactivity giving relief from the symptoms. We take a complete case history from you to enable our experts to provide the maximum benefits using homeopathic medication. This specific information will be extremely helpful to allow our experts to target the root cause which adversely impacts the immune system. While filling the case information we recommend to treat it as an introspective activity to identify the changes you could make to your lifestyle. Homeopathic medication is a safe and natural way towards building & correcting the immune system. Along with homeopathy it is also important to focus on diet, exercise and improve the overall lifestyle to be able to build a holistic plan to build your immunity.
Learn more about our personalized Homeopathic Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Dr Monica Matani & Raakesh Desai